Privacy & cookies policy
We take online privacy seriously and we respect the concerns of our users. In this policy we describe our privacy practices with regard to information we collect through web-root.net and affiliated websites, to help you make informed decisions about how you share information when you visit or use our website.
Understanding how information is collected on web-root.net:
Information you may choose to provide to us
We may collect information, including personally identifiable information, directly from you if you choose to provide that information. For example, you may provide us with your name and contact information (such as an email address), date of birth, or other details of that nature, when you sign up for our newsletters or participate in promotions or surveys on our website.
You also may choose to provide personally identifiable information about yourself when you post comments or participate in discussions on the website. Please be aware that information you post in these comments may be viewed or captured by anyone who visits the site, therefore you should avoid posting sensitive or personal information that you would not want to be available to the public.
Information that is automatically collected when you visit web-root.net
When you access the site, we and our third-party partners and vendors may automatically collect certain information about your visit using tools such as cookies and other similar technologies. The information collected automatically when you visit the website may include your IP address, characteristics of your operating system, information about your browser and system settings, data about the computer or mobile device you use to access the site, unique device identifiers, clickstream data (which shows the page-by-page path you take as you browse the site), and other details that generally are not considered personally identifiable.
We also use third-party web analytics services, such as Google Analytics, on the site, to provide us with statistics and other information about visitors to the site. Click here to learn more about Google Analytics and how you may opt out.
How we may use information we collect
We may use the information gathered on web-root.net for various purposes, including the purposes listed below. For example, if you were to contact us with a question and provide your email address, we would use the email address you provided to respond to your inquiry. In addition, we use information we collect from you and through the website to:
- Provide products and services you request (such as when you sign up to receive our email newsletters);
- Respond to requests, questions, and comments, and provide other types of user support;
- Offer you products and services, or direct you to portions of this site or other websites, that we believe may interest you;
- Communicate about, and administer your participation in, events, programs, and other offers or promotions;
- Carry out, evaluate, and improve our website (which may include developing new features for the site; analyzing and enhancing the user experience on the site; assessing the effectiveness of our marketing and advertising; and managing our communications);
- Perform data analytics regarding usage of the site (including market and customer research, trend analysis, financial analysis, and anonymization of personal information);
- Guard against, identify, and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims, and other liabilities; and
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, law enforcement requests, and our policies.
How we may share information
We use personal information collected through the site for no other purposes than to provide the requested assistance. In addition, certain service providers may collect or access information through the site to enable or provide services, tools, or other features available on the site. We also may share information:
- With our affiliates for internal business purposes;
- If we are required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process (such as a court order);
- In response to requests from government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity;
- With respect to analytics and statistical information, to inform advertisers about the nature of our user base;
- With your consent or at your discretion.
Unsubscribe from emails. To unsubscribe from a particular newsletter, click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of that email newsletter. If you would like to globally opt-out from all web-root.net email campaigns please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Unsubscribe” in the subject line. When we send newsletters to subscribers we may allow advertisers or partners to include messages in those newsletters, or we may send dedicated newsletters on behalf of those advertisers or partners. We may disclose your opt-out choices to third parties so that they can honor your preferences in accordance with applicable laws.
How we protect personal information
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. That said, it is not possible to guarantee the security of information transmitted online, and you assume some risk with regard to the security of information you provide through any website, including this site.
Links from web-root.net to other websites
On this site we may provide links to other websites that are controlled by third parties. Linked websites may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review. We are not responsible for the content, usage terms, privacy policies, or any other aspects of websites that we do not own or control.
Surveys, quizzes and other features
If you’re a user or visitor in the European Economic Area the following also applies to you:
For the purposes of applicable EU data protection law (including the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), this site is a ‘data controller’ of your personal information.